Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Visit To A Lighthouse

Here we are, home again, after a fine fall weekend away. I think the highlight of the trip for me was the tour of the lighthouse on point of Stonington. I'm very happy (and a bit proud) that I followed through with my impulse to climb all the way to the top of the lighthouse.

The stairs spiraled up a stone tower - charming and Rapunzel-like. The stairs were stone too, it all felt very safe, very solid, very charming. I did not anticipate the metal ladder leading to the platform at the very top.
Hmmmm...
not so much charm there.
After a few minutes considering this development, and after watching Grandfather disappear into the opening above my head, I finished the climb.

Spectacular!
A Splendid Adventure.
If you have the opportunity to visit a lighthouse with (or without) your children, seize it.
If you aren't anywhere near the shore or a lighthouse, here's a link to the website of the Ponce De Leon Light Station on the coast of Florida. They have a fabulous virtual tour that includes the tower, the keeper's dwelling, even the ship's store.
Be sure to also check out their kids' pages for some coloring, history and a story of life in a lighhouse.