Friday, September 28, 2007

Games Kids Play


Here's a great link for a Friday!
Games Kids Play
There are rules and directions for over 250 indoor, outdoor, active, quiet - you name it! - games on this site. The web owners describe their site this way:

The purpose of this page is two-fold;

- One, to let you remember some of those odd games we used to play and bring a smile to your face.
- Two, to try to catalog a fascinating piece of oral tradition, and make sure none of these games are ever lost forever.

There are hundreds of these games, and no one person has played them all. Plus there are undoubtedly hundreds more variations depending on where you grew up.


It's a fabulous list - Remember this one?

Red Light/Green Light
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this game, one person plays the "stop light" and the rest try to touch him/her.

At the start, all the children form a line about 15 feet away from the stop light.

The stop light faces away from the line of kids and says "green light". At this point the kids are allowed to move towards the stoplight.

At any point, the stop light may say "red light!" and turn around. If any of the kids are caught moving after this has occurred, they are out.

Play resumes when the stop light turns back around and says "green light".

The stop light wins if all the kids are out before anyone is able to touch him/her.

Otherwise, the first player to touch the stop light wins the game and earns the right to be "stop light" for the next game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have one more link to share.
I moved my Grandmother blog to this site when fall began (and the title Summer With Grandmother Wren proved to be a bit short-sighted). I really haven't fully "moved in" here yet - one of the things I have left to do is a Link List of my favorite blogs.
I'm starting the list today.
Please visit mommysecrets.
The mommy there says "Moms, Don't you wish there was an instructions manual for becoming a mom? I use this forum as a way to collect tricks of the trade for moms. I'll share my secrets, spotlight secrets I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share what works for your family. I will focus on tips that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. Who knows - maybe one day we'll turn our collection into a real handbook to help moms do their job fantastically!"
mommysecrets